I am a social demographer (Ph.D.), committed to research work that feature a balance between theory-building and empirical-research to develop more refined social theories and to gather relevant evidence for the formulation of evidence-based policies.
I have substantive expertise in several fields of demographic research - including family, fertility and internal migration - and social inequality research - including housing, female labour market participation, and union membership. My research adopts a longitudinal and life course approach, and uses state-of-the-art quantitative methods, including panel data regression, multilevel and multiprocess event history analysis, and sequence analysis.
I have participated in several nationally and internationally funded research projects, including the collaborative European network of excellence for the study of social exclusion EQUALSOC, and the ARC Centre of Excellence for Children and Families over the Life Course.
My research has been disseminated in international peer-reviewed journals, including leading outlets such as Journal of Marriage and Family, European Sociological Review, Social Science Research, British Journal of Industrial Relations, Regional Studies, and Population Space and Place.
My research career so far has been fully funded by competitive research grants to the value of ca. 800,000 EUR which I acquired as sole Chief Investigator. This includes a prestigious research grant funded by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG – Sachbeihilfe / ca. 180,000 EUR), to conduct a project entitled ‘The Interplay between Gender, Occupations and Family Migration in Germany’.
Google scholar: http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=XB_6oi4AAAAJ&hl=ca
- Internal migration, residential mobility and housing
- Living arrangements, households and families
- Union membership and union activism
- Life course and longitudinal analysis
Full profile: Dr Sergi Vidal on UQ REsearchers
MORE INFORMATION: DR SERGI VIDAL HOMEPAGE
UQ Postdoctoral Research Fellow
- B.A. in Labour Sciences, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, Spain (2003)
- M.Phil. in Political and Social Sciences (area: Social Demography), Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, Spain (2006)
- International Max Planck Research School in Demography, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany (2008)
- PhD in Political and Social Sciences (summa cum laude), Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, Spain (2009)